Left Field Labs
We are an experience design company that connects people, products, and brands in powerful ways. Our small but growing team of designers, developers, producers, strategists, and content creators is based in Culver City, California. We believe in the power of storytelling, human-centric design, and the intersection of creativity with code to further humanity’s relationship with technology. If you’re the kind of person who obsesses over details, thrives in a collaborative environment, and jumps at the opportunity to take on new challenges, Left Field Labs may be the place for you.
As a creative technologist, your role is part right brain, part left brain, a bridge between ideas and technology. Your role is to come up with creative ideas and translate them technically (and practically), providing innovative solutions that are technology based. You are part producer who can organize insights and interested in investigating and experimenting with emerging platforms and frameworks. You should be able to analyze a user experience through a behavioral lens and have the ability to identify and analyze current and future UX technology trends.
You might work across wide areas of technology and require the guidance for creating a user experience that is not only creative, but is grounded in best practices, valid UI and underlying architecture recommendations and solid design theory and technical proof-of-concepts. The ideal candidate will also be well versed in the ideation and visual design of campaigns across multiple media and creating storytelling within the overall marketing mix. A kick-ass software developer and prototyper that is passionate about creating engaging experiences.
The Creative Technologist (CT) designs and grows a client’s brand with the agency on an ongoing and project basis. They will function as a key member of the Development team responsible for creating, iterating, presenting, and delivering exceptional design solutions that exceed client expectations. In this role, the CT ensures that the agency provides:
- Sound and responsible marketing counseling and planning.
- Conceptual visual / prototype creation of ideas spanning all areas of integrated communication, branding and interactive programs.
- Proper and innovative execution of work in all areas on schedule.
- Deliver a consistently superior creative product.
- A collaborative approach to the user-centered design process.
- Innovative solutions and experiences.
- Expert code.
Leadership in ideation and planning
- Serve as a bridge between creative, production, and technical disciplines to help generate strategic technology-driven creative solutions for problems, both client-facing and internal
- Be a leading voice in concept generation; partner closely with creative teams to generate unique cutting-edge concepts, utilize prototyping to help strengthen creative approaches and convey ideas
- Participate in strategic planning sessions, requirements gathering, and functional specification activities, providing feedback on implementation feasibility
- Assist in translating complex business requirements, user requirements, and specifications into industry leading creative solutions
- Work with peers in the creation of project specifications and plans, and budgets
- Understand risks associated with technical implementations, ensure that project proposals and timelines are optimized to address unknowns
- Stay informed of trends in technology, design, and digital; be an authority on how new technology can apply to client or internal projects.
Leadership in execution
- Assume a key role within the engineering team, looking to insert and evangelize effective technology solutions into projects and processes
- Rapidly develop and iterate prototypes in order to drive creativity and help convey creative concepts with tangible demonstrations
- Assist in the translation of prototypes into scalable, production-ready architectures
- Participate in execution of ideas as required; lead and oversee engineers in implementation of high-quality deliverables
- Champion internal systems for higher productivity working
- Ability to look beyond individual projects and consider improvements to the overall process
- Interest in expanding thought leadership beyond LFL through blog posts, conference presentations, etc
Leadership in client interactions
- Participate in early phase business development, speaking with clients to gather objectives, understand requirements and limitations, and instill a sense of confidence in LFL’s technical capabilities
- Participate in pitches and other client presentations; speak passionately about technology and its use in achieving strategic and creative goals.
- Participate in work presentations throughout the creative and engineering processes; build relationships with clients in order to ensure that expectations are clearly set and trust is being built throughout projects
- Bachelor’s Degree of Interaction Design, Game Design, 3D Imaging, Machine Learning or equivalent education and experience.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience designing interactive XR and mobile applications, and edge computing
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience with Unity and/or Unreal, including animations, shaders, renderers, spatial computing
- Proven experience with C# and/ or C++, python, procedural animation and simulation
- Proven experience with touchscreens, camera data, cross-mobile compatibility, adaptive layouts, sensors, computer vision, ML, AI, etc.
- Fluency in the principles of user-centered design methods, information architecture, usability, and interaction design
- A broad portfolio of dev work demonstrating expertise in at least 2 major areas of XR design.
- A strong knowledge of the various software options used in the field for design and rapid prototyping
- A firm grasp of a range of UX tools, processes, and outcomes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills demonstrated through a comfortability in presenting work and actively gathering feedback, both internally and with clients
- An enthusiasm for keeping up to date on current topics in the field to inspire and inform client work and organizational culture
- Excellent organizational, time management, and multitasking capabilities
- Interest in and aptitude for creative business and marketing solutions
- Will make fun of my coding skills
- Self motivated and willing to expand knowledge
- Ability to self-manage while managing assigned teams and projects.
- Capability to work on simultaneous projects and meet tight deadlines.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
Left Field Labs is an equal opportunity employer
Left Field Labs is an E-Verify employer. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that allows participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees in the United States.
Please click on the following links for more information: E-Verify Participation Poster. For more information visit the USCIS’ website: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
Left Field Labs is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and team members regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant’s criminal history (LAMC 189.00). Left Field Labs makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled team members.