The Digital Experience Design (DXD) group is building a rich practice in San Francisco that began with concepting and producing Immersive Experience projects, which include media art installations, corporate messaging experiences, and public space activations. We are now also envisioning and crafting the future of Hybrid Workplace Experiences and Connected Urban Experiences. This includes the design of innovative solutions to empower people (employees, visitors, customers, etc.) using cutting edge technology.
We begin with crafting the user journey, identifying the goals and desired outcomes, and by testing emerging technology through impactful touchpoints in the workplace or cityscape. We are seeking a candidate who is excited by the challenge of innovation through Creative Technology in both Immersive and Connected Experiences!
As a member of the Digital Experience Design team, your role is to help envision, scope, and implement digital engagement opportunities that bridge the gap between the physical and digital world working alongside interdisciplinary teams of developers, interaction designers, interior and graphic designers, architects, digital and brand strategists, crafting truly integrated user experiences in the built environment using digital as one more canvas.
You feel comfortable researching, figuring out new hardware and software technologies and platforms, building relationships with inventors and vendors, testing their solutions within our Design Labs and leveraging them to use them as new digital canvas that emerge and iteratively prototype experiences through the design process as you work side by side with strategists and designers and push the boundaries of design.
You are comfortable working with internal teams, external vendors/partners, and collaborating with clients to promote a project’s success. You are also self-organized and able to track and maintain your work and regularly update project teams on progress, hurdles, and topics requiring extra attention. You see a path to a leadership role within the Creative Technology group, a natural next step in your career growth.
What You Will Do
We seek Creative Technologists with a balanced understanding between the hardware and software fields. The following recommended skills will help contribute to your success at Gensler:
- Comfortable communicating high-level hardware systems and/or software systems design-intents to clients and/or vendors
- Experience reading architectural plans, systems engineering drawings, and shop drawings
- Expertise with software best practices, how to gather real time data using APIs or other means and general frameworks and platforms
- General interest and understanding of sensor and input knowledge, back-end integrations, front-end development, testing, production, and development of content management tools
- Working experience of front-end frameworks including web like: HTML5, React, Three.js, OpenFrameworks or TouchDesigner
- Familiarity with back-end languages like Node.js, etc
- Interest in working knowledge of real time visualization programs like Unity and/or Unreal Engine.
- Knowledge of 3D modeling process with software such as 3D Studio Max, Blender, Rhino or Revit for detailed modeling including parametric textures
- Experienced in the use of Github, Confluence, and/or Jira
- Familiarity of how Microsoft Windows networked environments work, understand typical IT and security policies for a corporate client
- Experience working with UX design teams, utilizing tools such as Figma, Max/MSP, Adobe After Effects, etc.; is a plus
- Familiarity of how IP video and audio works, for example the Dante protocol
- Working knowledge of Content Management Systems (CMS) both custom and cloud-based services
- Experience with complex permanent indoor/outdoor displays and cutting-edge technologies a plus (direct view LED, Projection, OLED etc.)
- Familiarity of the exchange of data between application layers via XML and JSON
- Comfortable interfacing with vendors and external teams, reviewing shop drawings, conducting site visits, and participating in regular coordination calls and meetings
- Minimum 5-8 years of relevant professional experience.
- Understanding of the creative design process and principles in a highly collaborative environment
- Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets
- Exceptional critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions and hackathons, to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our teams’ diverse interests.
We encourage our employees to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.
Gensler is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All aspects of employment decisions will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the bases of any status protected under federal, state, or local law. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law. We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance . If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability you may contact us here . We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our colleagues.