SSENSE, pronounced [es–uhns], is a Montreal-based fashion platform with global reach. Founded in 2003, SSENSE is pacing the vanguard of directional retail with a mix of luxury, streetwear, and avant-garde labels. We produce industry-leading original content and take pride in building our own technology solutions and systems from scratch. Our field of focus has grown beyond that of a typical e-commerce entity as we explore the nexus of content, commerce, and culture.
Currently serving 150 countries, generating an average of 88 million monthly page views, and achieving high double digit annual growth since inception, SSENSE is becoming a cultural protagonist in its own right.
Reporting to the Senior Manager of Design Operations, the Creative Technologist is responsible for merging both the creative and technical, providing innovative yet concrete solutions that are technology based. They organize insights and are interested in investigating and experimenting with emerging platforms and frameworks, while maintaining a solid grounding in development best practices. The ideal candidate is a talented front-end developer with a passion and understanding of graphic design, art direction, and visual culture. Working closely with the Creative Technologist on the day-to-day while supporting the creative teams, the designers, and product designers in creating engaging digital experiences, updating content integration on existing microsites
Design and Creative Development 40%
- Concept, design, develop, and implement engaging creative websites and digital projects in collaboration with key Marketing, Design, and Product stakeholders.
- Design, code, and implement engaging finished web- and technology-driven digital experiences
- Develop mockups and interactive prototypes across devices.
- Provide technology and UX support to the Design team on key projects.
- Stay abreast of current trends in the field and inform relevant teams within the company
Development Execution 50%
- Test and maintain quality and performance of code pushed to production.
- Perform quality assurance on web projects across browsers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome) and devices (Desktop, Tablet, Mobile) using development tools and BrowserStack
- Develop web design and interaction mockups across devices
- Perform quality assurance to content (images, quality, text, design requirements, etc)
- Adhere to and apply brand identity guidelines on all applications including page layouts, typography and interaction design
- Complete independently complex development tasks by writing testable, efficient, and reusable code respecting internal best practices and software development guidelines
- Maintain integration with Product teams to keep up-to-date with architecture design and code standards
- Work with appropriate account representative(s) or internal stakeholders on all projects
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts, Media Arts, Interaction Design or a related field
- A broad portfolio of development work demonstrating proficiency in at least 2 major areas of UX design
- Fluency in the principles of user-centred design methods, information architecture, usability, interface, and interaction design
- Experience with touchscreen, cross-browser compatibility, fluid layouts and adaptive layouts
- Experience in Three.js/WebGL and Node.js a plus
- Proficient understanding of integrated development environments and version control systems, such as (Git / Mercurial / SVN)
- Experience in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Sketch, Figma and Zeplin
- Experience with video editing software (e.g. Premiere, After Effects and Final Cut), a plus
- Experience in highly creative industries an plus
- Comprehensive understanding of internet standards and interactivity
- Mature appreciation of the balance between creativity and utility
- Willingness to work in a testing environment, from subject design proposals to performance and user testing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, French an asset
- Strong ability to present work and actively gather feedback
- Self motivated and eager to expand knowledge
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Proven ability to multitask and work under strict deadlines
- Interest in and aptitude for creative business and marketing solutions
- Interest in fashion an asset