Wired Production Group
From concert and festival staging to LED screen rentals, corporate events and video production, companies and organizations across the country have relied on Wired Production Group to meet their unique production needs for 20+ years. We build experiences from start to finish for concerts, festivals, fashion shows, conferences, nonprofit events, corporate meetings and a host of other events.
As a Technical Director, you’ll perform a variety of technical duties involved in the planning, coordination and production of various projects to support our clients’ needs. This is a full-time position.
The ideal candidate will have a solid background in and understanding of the live video production industry, live-stream experience and experience that includes working in a detail- and deadline-oriented environment. The Technical Director is responsible for communicating and executing all technical aspects of live production, with all technical staff, including the Producer, Director, Audio technician, camera operators, other production crew, and talent. Positive proactive attitude and schedule flexibility are necessary for this position.
Job Responsibilities of the Technical Director
As a Technical Director at Wired Production Group, job responsibilities will include:
- Directs live, streamed and pre-recorded shows.
- Be responsible for clean technical execution of all shows.
- Must be able to communicate directions and operate a production switcher to call and punch a production show, sometimes in various locations.
- Build and organize switcher effects, snapshots, transitions and specialty wipes.
- Create and maintain show documentation.
- Test and prepare systems and equipment for use.
- Prepare and route video and audio sources.
- Switch live programs and communicate real-time direction to technical crew.
- Retrieves and reviews equipment and resource list for client’s show.
- Regularly interfaces with sales and account management and attends production meetings in order to plan for shows and meet client expectations.
- Assembles, organizes and inspects equipment prior to the show.
- Loads and unloads equipment into company trucks for transportation to and from show location(s).
- Executes production plan onsite and effectively communicates with client and other coworkers to establish a professional collaboration.
- Installs, adjusts, and operates electronic equipment to record, edit, and transmit multimedia presentations and live events.
- Provides technical direction, face-to-face client assistance and attentiveness during assigned events.
- Engages social media and multimedia technology throughout live events.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues as they arise.
- Mentors or trains other co-workers on a variety of equipment and technology when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Job Qualifications of the Technical Director:
- Five years in live events and/or video production.
- Two years technical directing fast-paced events or newscasts.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Television production or related field preferred.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English.
- Ability to organize and manage shifting priorities under tight deadlines and in pressure situations.
- Ability to work as a leader in the control room and positively manage high-pressure situations.
- Must have experience with production switchers, video servers, and audio and studio equipment.
- Streaming/video conference experience with various platforms – VMix, Livestream Studio, OBS, Zoom, etc.., required.
- MOS and basic computer network understanding.
- Understanding of production workflow systems and video playback systems.
- Candidate should be a problem solver and quick thinker, using technical know-how to resolve existing issues and to work around problems that arise during livecast.
- Experienced using MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as Google Suite (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Slides).
- Ability to provide expertise in A/V needs based on event location and project scope.
- Proficiency as a videographer – framing, shooting, composition, lighting techniques.
- Experience to coincide with large LED display setup, operation and maintenance.
- Experience creating, developing, and/or producing projection mapping displays.
- Software experience to include Qlab and Playback Pro.
- Displays proficient technical skills across all operating positions within the control room and adheres to high production standards
- Technical aptitude and experience with television control room and studio production technology including video switchers, audio mixers, character generators, robotic camera controls, production automation systems, newsroom editorial software
- Understanding of patching and signal flow
- Competent understanding/skills related to shot composition, lighting and aesthetics
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly communicate solutions
- Requires adaptability, enthusiasm, initiative, ability to handle criticism, even temperament and a positive approach to problem solving
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision
- Dependable, a self-starter and operate consistently with a high degree of accuracy
- Able to manage multiple projects and details at any given time.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and decision making abilities.
- Leads by example by displaying a positive work ethic, attitude and personal commitment to every internal and external client needs.
- Flexibility to accommodate client’s changing needs.
- Attentiveness to details — before, during and after events.
- Ability to travel via company vehicle or airplane.
- Valid Iowa Driver’s license required with acceptable driving record.
- Willing to obtain a class B CDL for occasional use of straight trucks within 6 months of hire date, if not already class B CDL licensed.
- Ability to operate a pallet jack, use basic hand tools.
- Ability to operate a forklift or willingness to be trained, according to OSHA standards.
Our Culture & Overall Expectations: Curating a positive and thriving culture is a top priority at Wired Production Group. Every team member is a contributor to the culture. Everything we do feeds that culture. From each team member, we expect respectful interactions, collaborative and productive communication, openness to feedback and willingness to grow and learn, trust in each other and a positive attitude! “Culture is going to work with heart and knowing that what you do is making a difference,“ shares Ron Rausch, CEO and founder of Wired Production Group.
Roles may require the following:
- Adaptability, enthusiasm, respect, trust, autonomy, ability to handle corrective criticism, even temperament and a positive approach to challenges and problem solving
- Willing to work flexible hours, nights and weekends as required.
- Willing to travel 20-25%; heaviest travel months are May – October
- Overtime may be required to meet show and project needs
Physical Requirements: Climbing ladders and trailers, excessive walking, lift up to 50 pounds, push and pull heavy objects, bending/kneeling/stooping/ twisting/reaching (including working aloft on a ladder, etc. while controlling an object), standing for long periods of time.
Benefits at Wired Production Group:
We pride ourselves in our family feel and team commitment, our second-to-none customer service and in our commitment to flawless execution. We want a team player who has the necessary industry experience and who wants to jump into an exciting opportunity to grow with us. In exchange for your experience and talents, we offer a competitive salary and benefits to include:
- Small, flexible family-friendly environment free of big-company hierarchy and politics
- Competitive salary
- Medical, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Flex Spending Reimbursement Plan (Medical & Dependent Care)
- SIMPLE IRA Retirement Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Continuing Education Program
- Paid Vacation
- Cell Phone
Pre-employment drug testing and background check required.
Check us out at www.wiredproductiongroup.com! Wired Production Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to employing a diverse workforce.