A Future with purpose
At Arup we’re dedicated to sustainable development and to do socially useful work that has meaning. Our purpose, shared values and collaborative approach has set us apart for over 75 years, guiding how we shape a better world.
We solve the world’s most complex problems and deliver what seems impossible, with curiosity and creativity. We’re a thriving and growing organization which offers you many possibilities to shape a better world, and your future.
For this Experience Designer position, the focus of this work will equally address physical spaces, digital environments and human operations. One or more of the following are strongly preferred:
- Ability to visually storyboard early experience design concepts and narratives a plus
- Demonstratable skills in developing user personas and profiles, use cases and user journeys that shape experiences in the built environment
- Graphic design, infographic and diagramming skills (Adobe Illustrator, InDesign),
- Design writing skills
- Workshop facilitation skills
- Knowledge of experience design disciplines (physical design, technology design, UI design and/or content design)
- Experience with user research and community engagement activities
Responsibilities of these roles will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Undertake 3D modelling, analytical research and calculations, design work, measurement of noise and vibration
- Assist with preparation of reports, drawings, sketches, models
- Visit project sites for inspections, measurements, commissioning, and testing
- Develop, document, and present concepts and designs using 2D and 3D drawing tools
- Interpret and apply codes and standard
- Review engineering and architectural drawings
- Participate in meetings, design reviews, and coordination sessions with clients and design teams
- Develop solutions to design issues using listening, critical thinking, application of knowledge, and visual demonstrations to clients
Is this role right for you?
We’re looking for graduates who are curious and ready to evolve how you think and work. Our strength comes from how we respect, share and connect our diverse experiences, perspectives and ideas. At Arup, you belong to an extraordinary collective – in which we encourage individuality to thrive. If you can share your knowledge and ideas and encourage others to do the same; whilst having a desire to deliver excellent services for clients – we’d like to hear from you.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Interactive Media, Acoustics, Music, Audio/Sound, Architecture, Physics, Computer Science, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering
- Strongly demonstrated coursework in your field of interest
- Professional demeanor
- Skills in planning, prioritization, and organization
- Ability to communicate thoughts and technical ideas in an accessible way
- Attitude of taking initiative, enthusiasm, and eagerness to learn
- Evidence of past internship or extracurricular activity in the field
- History of technical presentations and technical writing
- Proven ability to perform in a deadline environment
- Exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Candidate must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsored work authorization now or in the future
- Master’s Degree in Acoustics or closely related field\
- Minimum 3.0 GPA or higher
- A background/training in music practice, playing of a musical instrument can be useful
- Evidence of personal investment in academic or extracurricular field
Our team’s notable projects
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- SF MoMA, California
- Delta LaGuardia Media Wall, New York
- Reverberation Chamber for Bjork’s Cornucopia Tour
- United States Olympic & Paralympic Museum, Colorado
- Tippet Rise Arts Center, Montana
- 2nd Avenue Subway, New York
- Steinway Hall, New York
What we offer you
When you start your career with Arup, you will have the opportunity to deliver high quality valuable work for our clients. Our inclusive and diverse work environment will allow you to thrive and build your technical, project management and business development skills needed to be successful in our firm. As a Graduate you have the opportunity to attend our Graduate Experience Program giving you the opportunity to meet your peers across the region and learn about our people, projects, and clients through panel discussions, design activities, and networking events.
New York City Hiring Range – The good faith base salary hiring range for this job if performed in New York City, NY is $74,000 to $81,000 per year. Benefits are not included in the base salary. Please note hiring ranges for candidates performing work outside of New York City, NY will differ.
Benefits that Work – At Arup, we have a comprehensive and valuable benefits program that works for our employees and their families while keeping costs low. These benefits provide health and welfare security for you as well as paid time off for rest and renewal. Our Global Profit Share Plan (paid bi-annually) provides an opportunity for you to share in the success of the Firm. As a valued employee of Arup, you can also choose to participate in our 401(k) plan with up to 10% company match to help you save for your future.
Flexible Working – We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options for alternative schedules and the ability to work outside of the office for a portion of your workweek are available.
We will be reviewing our candidates for this position on a rolling basis. Once you have applied you will be evaluated and potentially moved on to the next round, at which point a member of the talent resourcing team will reach out to you directly.
Different people, shared values
Our internal employee networks support our inclusive culture – from race, ethnicity and cross-cultural working to gender, LGBTQ+ and disability – we aim to create a space for you to express yourself and make a positive difference – Discover more about life at Arup at www.arup.com/careers/your-life-at-arup.
Arup is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, spouse of protected veteran, or disability.