The Head of Technology is responsible for the performance and direction of a multi-talented technical team, across a wide range of media technologies. From responsive projection mapping to complex Content Management Systems and multi-player game design, they oversee a diverse set of organizational capabilities.
They come from a background of creative technical practice and have some fluency across a range of formats and platforms. Within this diversity, they also bring focused experience in a technical discipline related to our work.
The Head of Technology charts a course for the future, and ensures that our work is inspiring, robust, and seamless from concept to completion.
What we offer
This is a chance to participate in the evolution of storytelling in public spaces around the world. We are a diverse, engaged, and curious team, interested in growing with people who bring their best selves to work. ngx is at the leading edge of our field – reimagining how technology can weave with art and storytelling to elevate the visitor experience.
Collaborate with Management to determine the department vision and goals
- Collaborate with the management team at ngx to set departmental goals and priorities.
- Shape the technical team’s growth and direction.
- Mentor junior and senior talent.
- Participate in charting our organizational course.
- Support a team that works with diverse technologies, messages, clients, and contexts.
- Contribute to globally significant cultural project work.
- Get support for training that will help the team thrive.
- Contribute to a collaborative, trusting, and inclusive place to work.
- Share space with imaginative, curious, committed colleagues.
- Coach, mentor, and inspire a diverse team of technical creatives. The team includes software developers, systems engineers, technical artists, and physical/digital designers.
- Bring interpersonal intelligence to the work of managing, inspiring, and challenging that technical team.
- Contribute to strong organizational partnerships with ngx’s project partners in exhibit design, AV integration, fabrication, and installation.
- Develop and implement a medium and long-term vision for the technical team’s structure and function.
- Collaborate with peers from other teams to refine and evolve ngx’s vision of creative technology in service of story.
- Engage in organization-wide strategic thinking to build on ngx’s technical expertise
- Bring technical experience and exploratory thinking to strengthen ngx’s position at the leading edge of interpretive digital media.
Structure for scale
- Build a high-performing team.
- Catalyze a culture of learning, excellence, and possibility.
- Support retention of a hard working team.
- Support the deliver best-in-class technical solutions for inspirational storytelling across diverse platforms and geographies.
Pre-requisite skills and experience
- Experience managing and mentoring technical teams.
- Leadership experience with a track record of success.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and inspire.
- Confidence to take on unfamiliar challenges.
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in uncertain circumstances.
- Experience managing technical projects.
- Experience working with new media in cultural or public spaces.
- Relevant academic qualifications or commensurate experience.
- Deep expertise in at least one area of our technical work is preferred.
- Experience with other game engines and related software is preferred.
- Some familiarity with areas of our technical work. Our technical work is wide ranging. It includes:
Understanding contemporary AV hardware, game design, technical systems, and software including Unity, TouchDesigner, HTML5, WordPress, C#.
Do you feel you haven’t met every requirement in our job posting? Studies have shown that women and people of colour are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification in the posting.
At ngx we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace for our team, so if you are excited about this role, we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t believe you meet all qualifications. You might be just the person we are looking for to join our team!