Marshmallow Laser Feast (MLF) are looking for someone to join our team as a Technical VFX Artist and help craft our next wave of high-profile artistic endeavours. You will work as part of the design team, working with junior members of staff, to help realise creative vision via full-of-life renders or via technical implementation of complex movement & particle systems. The ideal candidate will already use Houdini on a daily basis, with a vast knowledge of particle systems, fluid, spline movement, asset creation and manipulation. The artist that fills this role will become a key member of our “The Sanctuary of the Unseen Forest” work pipeline.
MLF are open to this being either a mid or senior weight position.
This position is a full-time fixed contract for 12 months, with a view to extending after the initial period. You have 3+ years of proven industry or practical experience to showcase or a strong artistic portfolio. Your work experience may be supported by a conventional 2:1 or greater degree in Interactive Media, Digital Media or similar.
We believe that proven skill and attitude are the most important factors in our team. If the above does not match your profile but you feel MLF in your bones, please apply.
MLF are a remote-first company, with a core studio in London, remote candidates will be expected to work within or close to GMT for calendar and working hours.
- Use of Houdini to work across both our baked assets and real time system pipelines
- Work with the technical, production and creative teams to design best strategies for content flow and other rendering/creation pipelines
- Work directly with senior programmers and design team to develop the correct formats and workflows for game engine consumption
- Use creative brief and direction to develop and design the core visual experiences delivered by MLF on a global scale
- Desire to develop a deep understanding of artistic direction and how to create tools and methods to support
- Involvement in the management and maintenance of the internal render farm
- 3+ years of experience or an extraordinary demo reel
- Technical proficiency of Houdini
- Point cloud and spline based development and rendering
- Fluid simulation experience
- Script writing/automation (Python) understanding and experience
- Deadline & render farm management
- Cloud rendering experience
- Modelling, scene layout and rendering best practices knowledge
Would Be Nice
- Scene compositing and final deliverables preparation in software such as Nuke
- Experience with Game Engine content production pipelines
- Experience of porting work into real-time and other environments
- Experience of using other content creation tools (Maya, 3Ds Max etc)
- Speedtree, Quixel & other content library production experience
- Experience with Version Control software (e.g. git, Perforce, Subversion)
- Comfortable working in small group environments to accomplish larger tasks
- This role is full time.
- Holiday at 25 days per year (plus bank holidays all pro rata).
- Flexible working options and childcare friendly practices
- Initial 12 month contract, with 3 month probationary period.
- Pension contributions.
- Salary dependent on experience.
Marshmallow Laser Feast is an experiential design studio based in Hackney Wick, London. We are a small team of around 20 which grows on a project by project basis. Our expertise has earned us a reputation for creating the seemingly impossible—for producing installations that push boundaries, redefine expectations and excite audiences worldwide. Our work is responsive and spans kinetic sculpture, film, live performance and virtual reality. Web: Marshmallowlaserfeast.com IG: marshmallowlaserfeast
We believe that proven skill and attitude are the most important factors in our team, if the above does not match your profile but you feel this role and MLF in your bones, please apply.
This is a full time position lasting 12 months, the role will be open until we find the right person.
MLF is working on becoming more diverse and inclusive every day: we are not perfect and recognise that there is still work to be done, and are ready to do it. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Please send your CV and a unique cover letter, explaining how you fit the role and what you would bring to Marshmallow Laser Feast, to: email@example.com with the subject line Technical VFX Artist – May 2022