As an integral member of the Digital Experience team, your role as a Physical UX Designer is to help scope, concept, develop, and implement physical experiences that manifest in the built environment and bridge the gap between the physical and digital worlds. Your understanding of human factors, UX flow diagrams, interaction design & your ability to craft experiences that go “beyond the screen” is crucial for this role. You will leverage a variety of platforms and technologies to identify and define user experiences, design and deliver solutions for opportunities within the user journey, demonstrate proof of concepts, simulate experiences within virtual environments, test the usability of an interaction, and produce digital content and 3D actionable assets for temporary or permanent installations.
What You Will Do
- Collaborate with clients, internal design teams, and external partners ( e.g. fabricators, AV integrators, lighting designers, etc . ) on projects across multiple industries
- Have a deep understanding of users, including personas and archetypes/modes, and their relation to unique and holistic user journeys
- Synthesize multiple stakeholder’s input into actionable design solutions
- Translate user needs into visualized concepts using a variety of 2D/3D/VR tools
- Evolve concepts from ideation sketches and storyboards to viable, documented design solutions and communicable, deliverable assets
- Design for the needs of the clients and end users, understanding the balance between the two
- Knowledge of user-centric design processes and methodologies
- Deliver and communicate design intent packages for broader internal teams ( e.g. non-DXD) and external partners (e.g. fabricators, AV integrators, lighting designers, etc.)
- Oversee physical samples, builds, and prototypes (for both internal and external teams) for design intent alignment, progress schedule, and quality control through production and installation phases
- 7+ years of Industrial Design , Exhibition Design and/or Physical UX Design experience
- Experience designing interactive touchpoints for physical spaces
- Exceptional critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn quickly and understand diverse and evolving technologies , techniques, typologies
- Mastery of 2D design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign (Proficiency in After Effects a plus)
- Mastery of 3D CAD design tools such as Rhino and Revit (Proficiency in C4D a plus)
- Proficiency in visualization render programs ( e.g. VRay , Octane, Enscape )
- Proficiency in utilizing VR platforms ( e.g. Unity, Twinmotion)
- Working knowledge of modern gaming engines ( e.g. Unreal)
- Working knowledge of parametric tools for both form-finding and -building ( e.g. Grasshopper, TouchDesigner)
- Working knowledge of fabrication processes and procedures
- Working knowledge of AV integration processes and procedures
- Desire to employ best design practices and to develop new bold ideas
- Must provide a portfolio in either PDF form or a link to a website portfolio
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests. We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life.
Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401 k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.