At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment
The RTA School of Media at Ryerson University is Canada’s preeminent school of media content creation, innovation and broadcasting. Established over sixty years ago as the School of Radio and Television Arts, RTA provides students with an intense and rewarding education in all aspects of media production, art and scholarship. At RTA, students find tremendous opportunities for personal and artistic expression.
To contribute to the smooth operation of the School, we are currently seeking a Production Assistant to operate and maintain equipment and facilities in support of the Media Production and Sport Media programs predominantly but also, in part, the New Media program in the RTA School of Media while ensuring their efficient and safe operation. You will facilitate the setting up for classes, productions, work periods, critiques and installations, and provide technical and organizational assistance and advice to faculty, staff and students during production work, both curricular and co-curricular. You will assist in the organization and production of special events and other RTA initiatives, e.g. scholarships awards, expert panels, orientation presentations, program-initiated productions and events, student highlight reels, etc. You will demonstrate the proper and safe use of equipment and facilities and provide training on the technical and operational use of equipment and software in support of all school activities.
To help us learn more about you, please provide a cover letter and resume describing how you meet the following required qualifications:
- Successful completion of a post-secondary diploma program in New Media.
- Minimum of 2 years of broad experience in more than one discipline within the New Media industry.
- Experience working with tangible and intangible art-based media facilities, installations and projects.
- Experience working safely in a workshop environment, using various materials for fabrication, operating power tools and machines including but not limited to 3D printing, laser cutters, CNC mills, soldering irons, etc.
- Experience working with electronics and digital systems operation
- Experience overseeing New Media facilities and large student crews
- Technical knowledge and skills includes: 2D/3D graphics, intermediate web authoring, tangible media authoring, non-linear editing, mobile platforms, digital fabrication, electronics (e.g. arduino, actuators), coding, and installations
- Must have relevant IT knowledge to include knowledge of a wide variety of New Media, operation systems workflow and digital fabrication systems