SideFX is seeking an exceptional software developer to join its Toronto-based real-time rendering R&D team. Our 3D viewport renderer performs a wide range of roles, such as visualizing simulations, displaying massive datasets, rendering final frames, doing fast scene layout, and modelling interactively. We are transitioning from modern OpenGL to Vulkan to allow us to continue to improve in all these areas. As a member of the real-time rendering group, you will be working with some of the brightest minds in the industry and interacting with an outstanding artist community. Everyone here shares a drive for excellence and a passion for innovation. Providing digital artists with the most advanced tools for their craft is, and has always been, our single focus.
*Note: Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, in order to keep all of our employees and candidates safe, SideFX is hiring and onboarding remotely
Key Duties and Responsibilities*
- Assist in the transition of the viewport rendering engine from OpenGL to Vulkan.
- Develop, maintain and support our existing real-time viewport renderer and its Hydra delegate.
- Collaborate with other R&D staff, technical directors, and artists to ensure the rendering technology provides the best solutions for interactivity, render quality, and visualization.
- Other duties as assigned
*Adjustments will be made to enable duties & responsibilities to be met working remotely considering the current Covid-19 pandemic situation.
Required Skills and Experience
- Computer Science degree or equivalent industry experience, with a record of academic and professional excellence.
- Industry experience with the Vulkan API
- Strong knowledge of C++ programming in a multi-threaded environment
- Experience with advanced real-time/GPU rendering algorithms and techniques
- Knowledge of OpenGL rendering and GLSL shader authoring
- History of delivering innovative, robust and scalable code
- Ability to learn independently, use solid judgment, and develop at a fast pace
- Extensive experience in algorithm optimization for memory and performance
- Uncanny ability to uncover and remove bugs in a large software base
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Knowledge of Metal, Qt, and Python
- Knowledge of OpenCL
Sample R&D Projects
- Help refine the Vulkan-based architecture of Houdini’s next-generation viewport renderer
- Leverage Vulkan’s ray tracing capabilities for FX such as occlusion and subsurface scattering
- Convert existing GLSL shaders to Vulkan-compliant shaders
- Optimize interactivity with massive datasets
- Optimize simulation update time with compute/graphics interoperability
- Redesign visualization of simulation attributes
- Enhance area and environment lighting by means of ray tracing
- Ensure optimal functioning of the viewport renderer as a USD Hydra delegate
For over thirty years, SideFX has been providing artists with procedural 3D animation and visual effects tools designed to create the highest-quality cinematic results. We are passionate about what our customers do because our roots are in production, both as artists and as pioneering technical innovators.
SideFX has been recognized by the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Science multiple times – including with an Oscar® – for the development of our Houdini software, and its breakthrough procedural-based technology.
Houdini is used by the world’s top film, TV, and game studios to create blockbuster movies like Spider-Man, The Lion King and Godzilla vs. Kong, TV shows like The Crown, Game of Thrones and S.W.A.T., and video games like Ghost Recon, Far Cry and Age of Empires. Our customers include Disney Feature Animation, Pixar, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Weta Digital, Electronic Arts, Microsoft Game Studios, and many more.
Visit https://www.sidefx.com/careers/ for a full list of our current job openings.
Our transit-friendly head office location, directly adjacent to Union Station in the heart of downtown Toronto, is open-concept with a relaxed style that includes, casual dress, and wraparound views from the 14th floor.
Toronto office; Other locations will be considered within our company’s possibilities.