About the Role & Team
Through innovative storytelling and a culture of collaboration, Disney Live Entertainment creates, produces, and delivers remarkable and engaging entertainment experiences. From the intimate to the spectacular, our work can be seen at Disney theme parks, resort hotels, cruise ships and other locations the world over! This diverse team – representing a wide variety of subject areas- and talents from technical directors, writers and lighting designers to choreographers, cosmetologists, and music producers – brings magnificent worlds to life through technical expertise, performance excellence, outstanding resourcefulness, unparalleled spectacle… and a dash of pixie dust.
With a strong understanding of Video Systems Design theory and practice, the Video Designer with Disney Live Entertainment provides technical design expertise in the areas of media playback, media server programming, signal routing, and displays technology.
This is a Full Time role.
You will report to the Media Designer Principal.
What You Will Do
- Participation in project’s creative development and defines scope by identifying system needs and functions based on creative goals
- Providing a coordinated structure throughout the entire process of development through implementation of live show entertainment product, and development of equipment and labor budgets
- Creation of design package as a living document assembled along with the show development and production from initial concept and pitch phase
- Partner closely with Technical Direction and other design teams
- Function as primary interface between Creative and Technical with regard to media playback/quality of media delivered by Media Development
- Crafting appropriate systems for shows and/or facility infrastructure that address Park operational needs
- Crafting design drawings: Plans, Line, Layouts, 3D pre-visualization, Occlusion Assessment, BTU/Power/Weight load estimates, etc.
- Working with Procurement, Technical Direction, and Production to align with Company buying standards and schedule of receiving equipment/products/etc.
- Assisting Technical Direction staff with Video Integrator Management, Factory Acceptance Testing and Sight Acceptance Testing
- Oversee the installation, test & adjust and programming of required elements
- Provides support through programming, training, rehearsals and opening of show
- Research video and projection technologies in support of design effort
- Conduct ongoing entertainment show quality evaluations (ASQA Reports) of existing entertainment offerings to assist with maintaining the original entertainment show intent and outstanding quality
- Partner with Consultant Video Designers and vendors to ensure Disney quality, compatibility, training, and proper documentation of all video services delivered
Required Qualifications & Skills
- 3+ years experience in video systems design in live show/theatrical production, live event production, technical, and/or stage management production
- Strong understanding of current technology and industry standards for all aspects of Video Design
- Advanced experience with most video delivery systems, such as front and rear projection, LED monitors and screens, and high-powered laser projectors
- Advanced comprehension of the various formats for video content creation and compatible delivery systems in both file delivery and live delivery environment, and understanding of SMPTE standards
- Demonstrated understanding of video signal distribution and routing systems, including advanced network setup, advanced signal flow, file management, and advanced Video programming methods
- Ability to work closely with Technical Director(s) and Video crew to prioritize, coordinate, instruct, and problem-solve during installation, content integration and programming
- Must be able to read architectural blueprints and interpret electrical drawings
- Ability to support the creative process by collaborating with other Designers, Directors, Writers, and Producers
- Possess excellent communication skills; highly motivated; can accept direction easily
- Proficiency with CAD drafting programs in both 2D and 3D
- General understanding of 3D and UV workflow
- Knowledge of The Walt Disney Company Standards and/or Industry Standards
- Willingness to travel on domestic and international assignments as needed including Disney Cruise Line
- Fluency in any additional languages is a plus (Mandarin, French, Japanese, Spanish, etc.)
- College degree or equivalent work experience in the technical aspects of Video Systems Design, or Theater Arts and its associated skills, with focus on live show entertainment and/or projection mapping.
Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities, and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.