Amazon.com Services LLC
Full Job Description
- Programming experience developing native applications or libraries using C++
- Bachelors, Masters Degree or PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
Do you love games? Do you like working in a startup environment? Do you want to be on the cutting edge of video games? Join us, and you’ll have the power of Amazon’s tools and technology, including Alexa, Fire TV, AWS, and more, to shape the future of games. Individuals interested in this position will be building high-performance, reliable software in a complex, multi-tiered, and distributed environment. Your code will power experiences that delight millions of gamers. Are you ready?
A day in the life
You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving technical and creative problems that haven’t been solved before. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and you’ll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams within Amazon. You will gain an understanding of how Alexa operates and help establish an entirely new category for gaming. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a ton, have fun, and help make a positive impact on millions of customers. At Amazon, we hire the best minds in technology to innovate & build things for the benefit of our customers. The intense focus we have on our customers is why we are one of the world’s most beloved brands – it is part of our company DNA. Our Software Development Engineers play an instrumental role in utilizing cutting edge technology to solve complex problems and get to see the impact of their work. Amazon challenges are big and impact millions of customers, sellers, and countless products across the globe. Our path is not always easy so we are selective about who joins us on this journey. There is a certain kind of person who takes on software development challenges at Amazon – someone excited by the idea of creating new platforms, features, and services from scratch while managing ambiguity and the pace of a company whose ship cycles are measured in weeks, not years. If this is you, come build the future with us.
About the hiring group
The Alexa Games team mission is to make gaming better with Alexa and to make Alexa an indispensable part of players’ gaming lives. You will join a small, early-stage team for a new strategic initiative focused on the intersection of Alexa, video games, and gaming consoles. You will be on the team responsible for advancing our journey to make Alexa more useful for gamers. You’ll get to work on the latest Amazon devices and craft compelling and memorable experiences for customers around the world.
- Think big, bringing fresh ideas and interactions that make Alexa skills development easy and intuitive
- You take a long-term view of architecture, proactively fixing deficiencies and/or proposing larger projects.
- You understand the business impact of your systems and show good judgment when making technical trade-offs.
- You are a key influencer in team strategy.
- You bring perspective and provide context to guide future technology choices.
- Your code submissions and approach to work are exemplary. You write software that is easy for others to contribute to.
- You drive engineering best practices (e.g., Operational Excellence, Security, Quality, etc.) and set standards.
- When confronted with discordant views, you are able to find the best way forward and influence others to follow that path (build consensus).
- You contribute to the professional development of colleagues, improving their technical knowledge and engineering practices.
- You ensure your team is stronger because of your presence, but does not require your presence to be successful
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
- Unity, Unreal, CryEngine, Lumberyard or other 3D game engine development experience
- 1+ years of hands-on experience in software development, including design, implementation, debugging, and support, building high-performance system software and/or scalable services
- Strong at applying data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented (OO) design, to solve challenging problems
- Experience with Alexa skills development