Disney Parks, Experiences and Products
The mission of the Publishing Innovation team is to dream, define, and build the future of storytelling across all mediums. As a member of this team you will support a rich slate of next-generation products and experiences to grow the Disney Publishing business through a combination of new product development, blue-sky innovation, and experiential storytelling initiatives involving exciting new partnerships across multiple segments of the Walt Disney Company.
As a Software Engineer on the Publishing Innovation Team you will function as a “creative technologist,” working with cutting-edge technologies to champion innovation throughout the business segment, on everything from external next-generation guest experiences to high-efficiency internal pipelines and tools. The ideal candidate is not just a world-class engineer, but also a passionate follower of new technology and innovation, and someone who cultivates an ability to map how new advancements can be integrated into existing lines of business. You’re an enthusiastic prototyper, insatiably curious, technically proficient, and highly collaborative.
Your day-to-day will consist of new product development centered in Disney Publishing but extending outward into all segments of Publishing, Consumer Products, Parks, and Imagineering. In addition to larger-scale medium- and long-term projects, you will also have the opportunity for ongoing development of early-stage product & experience prototypes in support of our innovation pipeline.
Projects on this team flow through an innovation pipeline that begins with blue sky ideation and then flows through early prototyping, validation, refinement, and finally either handoff or production-level development as fits the project. Experience with agile development is a strong plus, as you will be part of a cross-functional scrum team operating in two-week sprints. You will also present your work and projects to teams throughout the organization and for high-level executive demos and reviews.
A passion for tech-enabled entertainment, interactive experiences, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, or connected devices is a strong plus.
- You will build engineering prototypes in support of innovation concepts and technical proof of concepts.
- You will participate in ongoing brainstorms for new innovation ideas and opportunities
- You will write enterprise-quality, full-stack software in a variety of Languages and Platforms.
- You will pitch new technology, experiences, or products to stakeholders throughout TWDC
- You will partner on innovation projects with designers and artists
- You will harden and hand off prototypes into functional product services as required for new product deployment, including service as technical point of contact with partners.
- A broad understanding, comfort, and enthusiasm for technology and the ability to quickly and proactively learn new technologies, techniques, and tools
- A demonstrated track record of the creative application of cutting-edge technology to delight, entertain, and educate; in the form of a portfolio of projects
- Prior experience creating technology-driven entertainment/interactive experiences with broad appeal for an audience
- Professional software development experience using Python, Java, C# or similar OOP
- Experience developing on iOS and/or Android
- Agile software dev (preferably scrum)
- Demonstrated proficiency with software prototyping tools and game engines (e.g. Unity, Unreal, AR/VR platforms)
- Experience with “no code” UX mockup tools (e.g. Axure, Figma, Sketch, etc)
- Experience with Machine Learning & Data Science algorithms, tools and pipelines
- Experience developing on Google App Engine or AWS
- Familiarity with art and animation pipelines
- Experience with user research, usability testing, and/or playtesting
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree or comparable industry experience in a field related to computer science or creative technology (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Media Arts, Experience Design, Entertainment Technology)
- Additional engineering degree, minor, or coursework preferred (e.g. Computer Science Engineering, Human-Computer Interaction, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering)
Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits