JOB SUMMARY: The Sr. Designer, Interactives (Advanced Technology Interactives) acts as a creative lead for selected advanced technology interactive experiences and experience transformation initiatives. An interactive experience is one that allows a guest, by their actions, to change the show. The Sr. Designer, Interactives is a creative, innovative, and organized thinker able to create multiple technical and creative approaches and solutions to meet interactive design criteria, such as guest experience, game design, hourly capacity (THRC), show timing and narrative flow, physical interactive elements, etc., while adhering to local building codes and operational needs This position provide overall and day to day vision, guidance and oversight of projects aimed at modernizing the Universal Parks and Resorts attractions and guest experiences. Develop and lead Advanced Technology project scope in creative development, game and experience design, planning and scoping, integration, project alignment and initiative financials. Partner with project creative team on gaming experience, technology and interactives within the project’s “story” and ensure creative intent and overall experience is conveyed to successfully create the desired guest experience.
- Conceive and develop interactives design direction and define the guest experience of the project or assignment in collaboration with the design team. This may be accomplished through many different methods, including, but not limited to creating game playtests, animations, game design documents, sketches, illustrations, image research documentation, and digital or physical mockups.
- Designs, manages, interprets and communicates development of project concept and design intent for guest interactives and gaming. Translates and presents concept and design to a variety of audiences.
- In collaboration with the design team, oversee and directs the design, fabrication, and installation of the project elements as they relate to guest interactives and understanding, while ensuring the overall creative intent is achieved as envisioned by the Creative Director. Project elements include digital and physical animation, visual and audio media, user experience (UX) design, timing, scenic art, scenery, props, show action, special FX, and lighting.
- Lead and design playtest mockup efforts, defining goals and synthesizing results of those efforts. Coordinate internal and external resources to answer interactive and gameplay questions through playtests.
- Collaborate with internal talent and external vendors to define and execute the desired vision. Direct interactive related vendors and coordinate with scenic and show system vendors and/or other Art Director(s).
- Work with the Show Producer to identify and procure talent and resources necessary to complete the project.
- Understand and actively participate in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
SCOPE: Non-routine; general policies applied to frequently changing situations. Responsible for directing teams of creative project personnel such as interactive designers, producers, associate producers, programmers, graphic designers, etc. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Influences decisions of significant nature requiring high degree of tact. Responsible for the interactive experience is one that allows a guest, by their actions, to change the show.
EDUCATION: High school degree or GED is required. Bachelor’s Degree in Art, Game Design, Digital Media, Theater, Creative Writing or related discipline is required; Master’s degree is preferred.
EXPERIENCE: Must have at least –7-10 years experience designing interactive experience-based attractions and/or lands for theme parks or attractions. Must have at least 5-7 years of game or interactive design and field experience based on Universal Creative standards or equivalent combination of education and experience. Ability to communicate complex artistic ideas through a combination of verbal, written and visual and materials required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. This role must have in depth knowledge of interactive design, user interface/experience design, graphic design, art, visual storytelling, motion & timing, and game design within physical environments.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.