Meow Wolf Omega Mart
The Exhibition Tech Maintenance Lead will direct a key exhibition team responsible for a consistent technical experience for our guests. The team is tasked with operating and maintaining the exhibition day-in and day-out, supporting special events, media events and contributing to new exhibit installations. The Exhibition Tech Maintenance Lead is responsible for repairs and preventative maintenance of all exhibit technology as well as designing and implementing system and component improvements to evolve and improve the overall experience.
Reporting to the Exhibition Manager and the Facilities & Exhibition Director, the Tech Maintenance Lead will direct the Tech Maintenance Team and outside Vendors and collaborate with artists and internal resources to maintain and improve a safe and engaging exhibition and facility.
The Tech Maintenance Lead is responsible to ensure the quality of work performed and supervise the completion of work through electronic documents and a CMMS, frequent inspections, and conferences with supervisors and Department Heads, as well as, perform skilled maintenance tasks in the repair, maintenance and upkeep of the exhibition technical systems in accordance with company SOP and all safety regulations, ensuring all quality standards are met and that safe, courteous and professional behavior is observed in all situations.
Tech Maintenance Lead will have expert knowledge of all technical systems in the exhibit which includes electrical systems, data distribution, electronics, micro-controllers, lighting, audio, video, show controls systems and how they work together to create the intended show experience.
This individual will lead and personally carry out installations and repairs on electronic and electrical equipment and systems, adhering to electrical codes, regulations, and standards. Knowledge and familiarity with electrical drawings, electronic schematics, computer hardware, software, applications, and operating systems and IT infrastructure are required.
Executing daily inspections and reporting, creation, and adherence to preventive maintenance schedules, managing parts inventory and software backups are a must.
In addition, the Tech Maintenance Lead will author and instruct on best practices, standard operating procedures, troubleshooting techniques, programming, and safety related work practices as well as build and create the documentation of custom interactive artwork, objects and installations that seam together sensors, micro-controllers, computers, lights, sound, video, and various electromechanical elements that are part of the exhibition.
The Tech Maintenance Lead is responsible for budget creation and adherence and may negotiate with outside vendors and subcontractors for quoting, executing, and scheduling both one-off repairs and to establish and manage maintenance contracts.
This role is charged with keeping these systems operational and coordinating with the exhibit wide maintenance staff to repair and maintain all systems at the highest standard of quality. The Tech Maintenance Lead is also responsible for training staff (exhibit team members, managers, docents, etc.) to engage the guests in the exhibition technical installations experience.
Additional duties include but are not limited to:
- Establish, model, and manage labor, productivity, quality control and safety measures for the Tech Maintenance Crew
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws
- Initiate, encourage, and maintain internal and cross-departmental communication
- Train staff to provide a memorable and uniquely Meow Wolf level of service to guests
- Develop and maintain vendor relationships with subcontracted Vendors and suppliers
- Assists management team in identifying, coordinating, and overseeing exhibit project needs
- Institute and maintain a detailed CMMS system, create, track, and audit all Work Tickets, task lists, equipment inventories and inspections policies
- In coordination with leadership, create and manage all Tech Maintenance employee schedules
- Determine and schedule repairs and safety inspections
- Create and maintain Preventative Maintenance program to ensure there is no Exhibit operation impact
- Oversee the purchase, use and care of all technical equipment and supplies
- Respond to emergency calls for all exhibit or building emergencies
- Keep accurate records of work performed by staff, volunteers, vendors, and contractors
- Maintain all warranty information and manuals regarding all supplies and equipment.
- Develop and revise written standard operating procedures
- Develop and ensure routine inspections for checking all technical equipment for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Respond and resolve any immediately solvable technical problems
- Review and document in the Bug Reports and Tech Failure Log for updates/changes in daily operation.
- Install, test and report on new software and firmware upgrades.
- Work independently and in partnership with other exhibit teams to keep the exhibition clean, safe and functional.
- Update new media content and programming to exhibit devices and controllers as needed
- Install, replace, connect, configure, and test any electronic devices, parts, tech equipment, computers, etc. as needed.
- Work with the Facility Maintenance team to solve any AC power problems, or upgrades.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 7 plus years of professional experience in relevant industries, ideally working in Emerging Technology, Entertainment Technology, Software Development, Electrical Engineering, or Professional Audiovisual trades.
- The ideal candidate for this position holds a minimum of an Associate degree, is a graduate of a Technical Institute, holds relevant Industry Certifications or has job experience equivalent
- Is highly experienced in the following specialties:
- Architectural and Theatrical Lighting Systems
- TouchDesigner, Max/MSP, other Visual Programming Environments
- Processing, Arduino IDE, other Creative Programming Environments
- Electrical Engineering and Low Voltage Electronics
- Creative Technology and Physical Computing
- Network Engineering Principles
- Effectively both conduct and delegate responsibilities and maximize resources
- Maintains composure in stressful situations
- Adaptable to changes in a fast-paced work environment
- Project management skills and the ability to resolve complex problems and issues
- Has an expert understanding of electronic circuits and electrical theory, computers and micro-controllers
- Has strong communication skills and ability to collaborate.
- Has strong organizational and documentation capabilities.
- Has strong fabrication skills and is skilled with power and hand tools.
- Demonstrated competency troubleshooting and repairing embedded systems that incorporate Arduino, Teensy and Raspberry Pi.
- Show Lighting Programming, in particular working with ETC systems and HOG Full Boar consoles.
- Advanced understanding of Network Engineering & IT infrastructure.
- Comfortable configuring, troubleshooting, and administering Linux computers from the command line, Macs from the GUI and command line, and Windows PCs.
- Experience with projectors and media servers
- OSHA 30 Construction.
Desired Characteristics and Qualities:
- Embrace and exemplify Meow Wolf Culture.
- Be enthusiastic about work and creating a transcendental guest and employee experience.
- Listen and communicate with compassion and positivity.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a receptiveness to change.
- Be positive, accountable, skilled at problem solving and embracing of great teamwork
- Willing to work outside the comfort zone to assist guests or fellow team members.
- Always maintain professional courtesy and behavior.
This job primarily operates in an indoor setting with exposure to noisy environments, dim lighting, strong visual effects including strobing lights, special effects, smoke machines and small and/or enclosed spaces. Outdoor settings may also be required for special events or as needed for maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Moving in different positions to accomplish tasks in various environments including small, enclosed spaces
- Remaining in a stationary position for prolonged periods
- Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers
- Positioning or moving objects up to 75 pounds
- Use of maintenance tools and cleaning equipment, includes use of cleaning agents and chemicals
- Use of access equipment such as ladders and manlifts
- ability to operate and manipulate power tools, specialty lighting, fog machine, computers, rigging equipment, projectors and all other exhibit technical equipment as needed
The employee will comply with company and OSHA standard workplace safety protocols. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is a full-time position, working a minimum of 40 hours a week. It requires a flexible schedule to accommodate both times the exhibit is closed to the public as well as normal operating hours. Evening, overnight and weekend work are required as job duties demand.
This position requires supervisory responsibility.
Infrequent travel (less than 10%) may be required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Meow Wolf truly embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.