Leidos is in search of an experienced Unreal Technical Artist to join our studio with an existing team of artists, programmers, and designers in creating “cutting edge” Virtual Reality (VR) and PC advanced training for the United States Air Force. Our client is a visionary leader that is bringing VR and digital training to the forefront of Air Force technical and specialty training for Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) analyst and operators around the world. This is a unique opportunity to leverage your proven AAA industry experience to create stunning photorealistic digital trainers for the U.S. Air Force training.
As an Unreal Technical Artist, you will ensure that technology, tools and processes are in place to realize the creative vision of a project. You will support a digital art team focused on photorealistic environments and characters for both PC and VR. This is a unique opportunity where your knowledge and expertise will enhance our team’s capabilities each day while also serving as a subject matter expert in techniques, methods, and best practices pioneered by Epic Games and the Unreal Engine. We are looking for your creativity, experience, and positive energy to create the Defense industries most immersive and comprehensive virtual training. Projects include building “digital twins” of military aircraft, vehicles, military hardware and replicating physical environments.
- Bachelor’s degree with 6+ years of related experience.
- 5+ years of direct experience with Unreal Engine in either the video game industry, architecture, advertising, film, or simulations on shipped products with concrete examples of your work. **Online portfolio showcasing experience, projects, interests is highly desired. **
- Experience creating digital art on at least 1 AAA game title as a production artist or experience creating virtual training as a defense contractor.
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of the Unreal Engine with heavy emphasis on Blueprints, Materials, Lighting, Animation, Niagara, Sequencer, and more.
- Collaborate with the art and technical teams guiding best practices for real-time asset optimization, promoting efficient workflows, and offering innovative tech solutions to maintain quality while maximizing performance.
- Establish and manage memory and performance budgets.
- Streamline production by finding ways to automate tasks and improve processes.
- Experience with PBR techniques using Substance Suite (Painter, Alchemist, Designer, Source).
- Experience creating Maya character rigs, wire controllers and GUI pickers for seamless export into Unreal.
- Understanding of motion capture data, workflows, facial capture, and retargeting.
- Experience writing custom Maya tools and scripts using Python and/or MEL.
- Desire to teach others and learn new techniques in the Unreal Engine.
- Motivated, self-directed, personable, strong verbal communication skills.
- Direct working experience utilizing source control methodologies of Perforce and task management workflows via JIRA.
- Strong work ethic that strives for continuous process improvement and production efficiency.
- Experience maximizing performance in VR applications.
- Ability to obtain security clearance (requires US citizenship).
- Ability to work in a dynamic cross-functional environment in a 100% teleworking environment
Nice to have Skills:
- Knowledge or interesting in learning or applying VFX skills in VR/PC based environments.
- Experience managing small art team production tasks against schedule and budget
Pay Range $57,850.00 – $89,000.00 – $120,150.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That’s why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at email@example.com.
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.