Immersive Tech is looking for a UX Designer to join our Uncontained VR project team. This role will be on our design team, focusing on user-centered design from preliminary concept through QA of a number of immersive experience projects. The successful candidate will bring their knowledge of VR to the team during all facets of the design and development process. They are up to date on best practices and are able to work within an agile team, clearly communicating technical and design concepts in a professional and respectful manner.
At Immersive Tech we design and build interactive experiences that facilitate “play”. Our team is as diverse as the experiences we create, and we strive to create an inclusive, respectful, good-humoured working environment where every employee has a voice in the creation process. We’re looking to expand our team with passionate individuals who can meet challenges of a fast-paced working environment.
- Plan and conduct research on the context and the users’ needs to identify behaviours of target players.
- Interpret and action quantitative and qualitative user testing data.
- Create and improve existing UX design documentation with the outcome of prototypes, wireframes, storyboards, etc.
- Create and update clear game design documentation for communication between Design, Art and Development teams through production of immersive experiences.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teammates in the design and development process to ensure user-centered design is incorporated.
- Participate in standups and weekly sprint meetings (online and in-person).
- Respond promptly to Slack messages during core hours.
- Track tasks and update development timelines, provide informed time estimates and/or due dates for visibility and planning purposes.
- 2+ years of professional experience in a similar UX designer role.
- Experience designing for multi-player games.
- Experience with VR applications/games from concept to launch.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of UX design methodologies, especially in new media such as VR.
- Proven strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, and collaboration skills in a technical environment with cross-functional teams.
- Ability to adapt to rapid development cycles while multitasking.
- Proactive mentality, with attention to detail and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of industry tools (Figma, Sketch, Adobe, InVision, etc.)
- Punctual with deadlines, while clearly showing visibility into task statuses using CMS tools.
- Track record of successfully working on teams sharing, helping, collaborating within a team to work together toward a common goal with a “we” mentality.
Nice to Haves
- Knowledge of VR Interaction Design
- Experience with Prototyping with Unity (i.e. PlayMaker or other Visual Scripting tools)
- Experience with SteamVR/OpenVR and HTC Vive VR Products
- Experience using Monday, Git, Slack
- Owns a VR headset and has passion for hyper immersive technology
- Experience with live entertainment venues, experiences and effect technology
- Understanding of fabrication processes and physical design limitations when completing a product design
Thanks in advance to all those who apply, but we will only contact those who qualify for an interview. Compensation commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send us your resume, cover letter, and portfolio/Github projects.
Portfolio should demonstrate evidence of clear and concise UX design documentation at a minimum of 3 key intervals of a game design process, from concept, through design to implementation of design choices. Submission should also highlight how changes or iterations of design concepts were actively recorded and implemented.
- Office located in Vancouver, B.C.
- Hybrid work environment but must be living in BC as a citizen, PR or have a valid work permit (preference given to those living in Vancouver area).
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $55,000.00-$65,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Stock options
- Vision care
- Work from home
- Monday to Friday
- Live in Vancouver Metro Area?
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferred)
- UX Design: 2 years (required)
- Work Permit, PR, or are a Canadian Citizen (required)