Free Range Games
Free Range Games grows games the old fashioned way: we don’t put our devs in cages, we work distributedly, and we don’t use toxic work/life trade-offs. Some of our crafters have worked together from PS1 to PS5 and will tell you about carving games one triangle at a time from punch cards.
We are some of the folk behind Spider-man, Tony Hawk, Lord of the Rings, Twitch Sings, Oddworld, Shrek Super Slam, and dozens of mobile and web games. We believe every member of the team has a voice in what the game should be.
You might have seen we have a whole crop of VR games and enterprise products coming up, but what we need you for to do is one of our Unreal next gen big budget games. We need great, self-driven, challenge-seeking developers to join us in creating something really special on the latest consoles. We like developers who thrive under management neglect.
Here at FRG, we care about one thing, and that’s making a great cup of game. Sure, it may take longer to brew, and we might not call it fancy names, but I guess we just care a little more. And that’s why Free Range Games are still made by the finest devs we can muster. Cooler games for a hipper world, focused on unique mechanics and moments of wonder rather than “hours of content” and “key performance indicators.”
We prioritize community, family, and love-of-gaming over process, crunching, and TPS reports. And maybe that’s what you want too.
As our VFX artist, you will be the only one in the company where the file names of the art you create will work equally well as onomatopoeia. Explosions, Lasers, Smoke, Vortexes, and Slime are but a few of the tools in your toolbox.
Please include your portfolio/reel including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section.
- Create awesome FX for our next-gen games
- Apply a broad range of skills to ensure art assets translate properly into Unreal.
- Develop scripts/tools that will increase productivity and ensure a consistent pipeline for art assets.
- Use profiling tools to diagnose in-game performance issues and identify how to optimize scenes to run at target frame-rates.
- To be successful in this role, you must be a collaborative problem solver, quick learner, curious and have a strong understanding of Unreal Engine.
- 5+ years experience as a technical artist (or equivalent capacity) in 3D games, simulators, or other high-performance real time systems. At least 3 years in Unreal Engine specifically.
- Experience with scripting, workflows, asset assemblies and asset management.
- Unreal XP
- Experience with real- time VFX, Houdini, and procedural asset creation.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Free Range Games is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Free Range Games makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Free Range Games participates in E-Verify.